Use the search below to find a location or a course (e.g. Toronto or BC or shoulder)
- This event has passed.
APTEI Acupuncture & Dry Needling: INTRODUCTION
July 9 @ 9:00 am - July 10 @ 5:00 pm$695.00
Instructor: Tom Kiroplis, MSc.Ed., Dip.Ac., Dip.TCM,
- Tom Kiroplis, MSc.Ed., Dip.Ac., Dip.TCM, has been practicing Traditional Chinese Medicine since 1997 and has taught at the Institute of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Toronto since 1998. He is also a former vice president of the Ontario Association of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine. Tom has had intense additional training at the University of Nanjing in China, and has been teaching physical therapists Acupuncture within the physiotherapy clinic setting since 2001. As co-owner of two physical therapy clinics, he has worked closely with physical therapists since 1998, adding a wealth of Acupuncture knowledge to physical therapy practices.
- The associates and acting facilitators include: Elena Mustata, Nils Perez, Stephanie Gilmour and Sunil Bhatia
1) Discuss the history, the evidence, indications and most importantly contra-indications and safety concerns related to acupuncture and dry needling.
2) Discuss the basic Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Theory
3) Understand the theory and practical application of acupuncture for a variety of common musculoskeletal conditions in the clinical setting.
4) Apply learned treatment strategies, techniques, and handling skills safely and effectively to sample clinical case studies.
PTs will immediately be able to apply basic acupuncture & dry needling into their practice upon successful completion of this course
Students often ask us if they are allowed to needle OTHER acupuncture or dry needling points that they have NOT LEARNED in our courses. The answer is a big “NO”. All points we teach have to be tested practically and you need to have learned the theory as well so you are ONLY ALLOWED to use the points you have learned in class. This is for the safety of the patient and to protect yourself from liability issues.
Note: The Intro course will cover the basics of both acupuncture and dry needling which is a prerequisite for the Advanced ADN & SPDN courses.
CRITERIA FOR ACCEPTANCE
- Physical Therapists who are licensed to practice in Canada
- There are NO prerequisites for the ADN: Introduction course
- This course is for those with no previous needling experience, however, many students with previous experience have completed this course and have informed us that they have learned new valuable concepts and techniques, relating to both acupuncture and dry needling.
APTEI “ADN: Introduction” or previous needling experience is a prerequisite for all other Advanced ADN & SPDN Courses
GENERAL COURSE INFORMATION
The program is designed for PTs with little or those with extensive previous acupuncture experience. Each of the APTEI Advanced Acupuncture & Dry Needling (ADN) and Single Point Dry Needling (SPDN) courses are designed to be one-day in length (9am-5pm). However, PTs with no previous needling experience, the 2-day ADN introductory course is required prior to continuing with the Advanced courses.
Upon the successful completion of the four (6) APTEI ADN Advanced courses, registrants will be required to complete an examination and will receive a “Advanced Physical Therapy Acupuncture & Dry Needling Certification”.
PTs completing the APTEI ADN program will not be able to identify themselves as an “acupuncturist” or be able to bill under acupuncture extended benefits separately. The APTEI ADN courses are intended for Physiotherapists to improve their overall treatment effectiveness in their daily evidence-based physiotherapy practice.
There is a HIGH Instructor : Student ratio for the courses to ensure one to one needs of the students
The students have ongoing mentorship opportunities from the instructors included in the tuition.
ALL COVID-19 SAFETY precautions will be followed based on the current provincial recommendations
- Please bring your OWN mask
- You may bring your own lunch, sandwich and snacks as due to safety factors we cannot serve food
- There will have hand washing stations and sanitizers readily available
Tax Receipts provided on course date / $30.00 is non-refundable / No refunds for cancellations 2 weeks or less before course date
RECOMMENDED (OPTIONAL) READINGS
- Hopton A, MacPherson H. Acupuncture for chronic pain: is acupuncture more than an effective placebo? A systematic review of pooled data from meta-analyses. Pain Pract. 2010 Mar-Apr;10(2):94-102. Epub 2010 Jan 8.